Saturday, March 14, 2009

Free Refills

Well, Ted and I made a trip to K-town this weekend. We made it there in about three hours- less than that on the way home, thanks to my husband's irrepressible need for speed. There were a few times I thought our doors were honestly going to blow right off the Chevy, but we are back home in one piece. I'm not sure how fast we traveled the majority of the time, because the speedometer doesn't go that high. I asked him who we were racing, but I guess to a man, that's not the point. It's just knowing that you can drive as fast as you want, so by golly, you should.
Anyways, we had a really nice time in K-town. There is an Air Force Base, and we got a great rate at the hotel on base. Granted, it's no Marriott, but it had a bed and a shower. After we checked into our hotel and drove through the housing to see how the "others" live (nice housing!) we went to find the Chili's. The Air Force has all kinds of stuff on their base! Not just one, but two American restaurants, enlisted and officers clubs, and a bar in the residential area. For just one night, we felt like we were back home. Chili's had an hour and a half wait, and we were too hungry for that, so we went to a sports-bar type restaurant next door. The food wasn't wonderful, but the waitresses spoke English, we could read the menus, and there was American music and television playing! I had pop with ice in it, and before it was even gone, the waitress brought me another! For free! Make no mistake, my husband and I are Americans through-and-through.
After dinner, the night was still young, so we decided to walk down to the Irish Pub that wasn't far from our hotel room. It was karaoke night, and the tone was definitely country, which was fine by us. It was nice to be able to catch drifts of conversation, and of course Ted chatted up a contractor who was from South Carolina. He said he had just come from South Dakota, but had no idea where Iowa was! Hmmm... We walked back to the hotel room and I tried to catch Nights in Rodanthe (I figure I should watch tv when I get the chance!) but I just couldn't stay awake. Might have to rent that one.
Today we went shopping. Ted was patient with me as I tried on several things but came away from it all with one shirt. I'm just not a good shopper. We managed to bolster his wardrobe though, and I'm glad of that. It was nice to get out and see a new town, and to give the red car some highway miles. I'm sure we'll sleep well tonight!

2 comments:

  1. I love your travel story! I was happy to smile so early this monday morning! Glad to see a sense of humor. the ride does seem a bit scary. was there plenty of traffic speeding right a long with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we sure passed a lot of people, haha. But yeah,there's always someone who will come flying up behind you. I just read my magazine (out loud, to Ted, whether he likes it or not) and try not to think about the road. :0)

    ReplyDelete