Monday, November 30, 2009

Now Introducing...

1LT Theodore J. Knust!
Yep, Ted got promoted today. Congrats to LT Miller and LT Miller, as well. Not a bad way to start off the week!

Other things we've been up to this week:


Making beef jerky. Homebrewed beer, homemade beef jerky... I...I just don't know what to say. We get bored here?


I KNOW the quality of this picture is terrible and a five year old could have done better. It's more to prove a point. Besides, I was hanging out our bathroom window to take it...and whenever I'm hanging out one of our windows taking pictures I'm always very aware of who's watching. In this case, Go-Go Granny in her shorty robe and Chain-smoking Mullet Man were the only witnesses to my suspicious activity. I usually plan better than that. I don't know what I'd do if we ever had screens in our windows. Anyway, the point of this picture is to show you that these Christmas decorations were up and shining the day after Thanksgiving! I just always thought that was an American thing...the Germans don't do Thanksgiving, after all. Hmm... I don't know why I thought that was so interesting- it doesn't seem that way now. Either way, the next chance I get, I'm going to buy a tacky blue Santa silhouette for our window(s!). I'm feeling festive.

Speaking of feeling festive, I have now completed my Christmas decorating. Here it is:

Thank you, Mom, for the stockings, and Aunt LuAnn, for "The Christmas Box", which was our centerpiece for the holidays last year and now will probably make an appearance every Christmas. I can't explain it. It's a thing now. So....no tree for us. We'll be in the states anyway, and I'm so not impressed with the tree decorations at the PX. I plan to buy a tree's worth of ornaments on sale after Christmas (not the from the PX...somewhere classy, like Wal-Mart or Target). Someone remind me of that before it's too late (I planned to do it last year too).

To tell you the truth, we DO have one more Christmas decoration. One that is very near and dear to my heart:
Grandma Betts hand-painted this nativity set for us at her ceramics shop and gave it to us as a gift last year. Isn't it beautiful! It even has a little night light to illuminate the stable, but I forgot to buy a bulb. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that I have the best Grandma ever.

Okay, I found one more picture in the collection. It doesn't really have anything to do with anything. I'm just going to throw it in here. I was making pork chops marinated in Cola, so I went down to the Nah and Gut to buy some pop. They were all out of regular Coke, and all they had was this:
Ah, what the heck. I'll go for the off-brand! After all, it has an American taste! Notice that it is also Gut & Gunstig. That means "good and good for you" (okay, we all know that's not what it means, but please....just leave me alone with my delusions). Who knew that American taste is what the Germans are going for? Or do they keep this in stock just for me...? I guess I'll never know. Until I learn German, that is.
Shoot.
I guess I'll never know.

Raise your hand if you want me to stop taking terrible pictures of meaningless inanimate objects.

Nobody? Great! See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. You knew no one would raise their hand, we LOVE your terrible pictures! :)
    And CONGRATS to Theodore James, 1LT, how wonderful!! He looks so handsome in the pic. And you'll never believe what Kevin did this weekeend. He made home made beef jerky! And I think I've told you he used to homebrew too, in his younger days. That's funny. Does the smell of beef jerky cooking all day in the house make you marginally sick though? It smells good at first, then after about ten hours, it starts getting to you. Thanks for the entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still having trouble figuring out these "comments" postings. So if one shows up from anonymous, that was me, I think you'll figure it out. And who is "me", you say, in case I can't figure it out again--it's Jo, but I think I have it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous (Jo),
    1LT Theodore James is very handsome in real life, too! (-;
    The beef jerky smell is quite strong, but the smell after the beer is way worse. In these instances I light a scented candle in every room of the house and hope for the best.
    Love,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete