Tuesday, November 24, 2009

European Getaway

Rise and Shine, everyone! It's a sunny Tuesday morning here in Bavaria, and I want to wish you all a happy morning. I'm back in business, here at my office (the couch). I wanted to kick off this week with a glimpse into a European hotel room. I thought it might interest you, and if not...too bad.

This was my hotel from last week's business trip to K-town. It's pretty cute- kind of like going back in time. Just for comparison's sake, this room cost me 79 Euro a night. So... about $119 per night with the current exchange rate. *Note to Uncle Sam- please reimburse me soon--Christmas is coming.


It looks warm and cozy. Partly because of my camera, but the room wasn't bad. Puffy down duvets, puffy down pillows... all in the lovely shade of pink.


One thing to note about European beds is that they are always TWO mattresses with two separate duvets. No fighting over the covers! No sheets or blankets either.... Call me a silly American, but I need something in between my body and the top cover. It just isn't right. I managed to sleep anyway... but there is just nothing to do between HOT and COLD. You either have on the duvet, or you don't. How do they manage?! I know, I'm a big baby.


Now, this is my personal bedside teleportation device. Getting to work was never easier.
Actually I don't have any idea what this is. Is it my alarm clock? Is it the only form of media entertainment in the room? Is it an intercom? I pushed a few buttons, and seven seconds later an ambulance arrived. Just kidding. But really, whatever it is... I'm sure it's a good one.


This was my favorite part of the hotel room. How can you not smile when you're in a room with floor-to-ceiling yellow flowers? And a yellow toilet? Even the toilet paper was printed with a yellow and orange design. It was very well coordinated. The shower was a little on the small side, but I soaped the top half of my body generously with the hopes that the soap would trickle down and do the rest of the job. I'm only kidding. Relax. There's no room for maneuvering in there. The Germans don't do washcloths either, so make sure to bring your own. Or a loofah, perhaps. In my case, a quick stop at the shoppette for absolutely everything shower related solved that little dilemma (I can never remember to pack EVERYTHING I need, so I aim for MOST) .


I just had to take a picture of the key. I don't think I have ever had a hotel key that wasn't electronic. Not in my recent memory, anyway. The thing was so ridiculous. Ladies, you won't lose this puppy in your purse!

All in all, the hotel was a good experience. Everything was clean, and I got fresh towels every day. The restaurant downstairs was DELISH, even if a little pricey. I had me the "Woodcutter's Meal." Yes, I was a little embarrassed, especially since my coworker, a much bigger man than I (if I were a man, of course), ordered a measly plate of plain schnitzel. Oh, and there was a homemade ranchy-dilly buttery spread for homemade bread as a complimentary appetizer. I wish I had some now... Anyway, that woodcutter's meal was worth it. You'll all be ready for lunch after this: A thick, juicy, tender porkchop, with some kind of reddish-brown saucy gravy-sauce, covered with fried onions, topped with bacon and more sauce. Served with fried potatoes on the side. My oh my. After that I went out to the timber and got us a winter's supply of... Okay, no I didn't. But I could have!

In other really important news:

1. I AM SICK.
2. I AM A BIG BABY.

Yep, that's right. I came home from K-town with a little souvenir. I woke up the very next morning drowning in my own snot. I sneezed so much I thought maybe my brains flew out my ears. The next day I had a massive headache/fever / cough thing going on. Now I have moved on to the headache / tired / getting better part.
BUT....
I got a fever blister out of the whole ordeal. Or cold sore, or whatever you want to call it.
Please feel sorry for me. Now I'm trapped in the house for ten days. Well, I might go out, but coooome oooonnnn..... Not fair! Why me? I would rather have snot running down my face in public (I can say that now that the snot has dried up and left me with this THING on my LIP).
If you've never had one, you're lucky. Me and Grams, we get one every year. GRANDMA, DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?!
I still love you.

Enough of my whining. I'll move on to more interesting topics tomorrow.
Oh, and be patient while my blog is "under renovations." I'm having trouble with the layout. I wanted something new, and then it all fell apart.

Love ya all! (that's the Midwestern way to say ya'll, if you didn't know)

Oh, and P.S... While I was renovating, I came across an option that lets me open up the comments to those who DO NOT have the google account. So, anyone can comment, and you can even remain anonymous if you want to say something mean.

2 comments:

  1. I love your hotel, though I think the key is my favorite. Hope you feel much better - long before the 10 days is up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this gonna work, will you see my comment? I hope so! Because sooo many times as I'm reading previous posts I've wanted to comment. Now when, perhaps, I DO have comment access, I can't think of any comments?! Kidding! I personally loved the big Hersheys Kisses shaped pillows in your hotel room? And the key was a hoot, how silly. I love your writing, you're beyond entertaining! You two have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! We're staying home, just the three of us, this year. Now the get-togethers in Texas are bigger than Iowa, that's not fair!!

    ReplyDelete