Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Look, Ma, new......shoes?

Pale is the new tan...right?!

I bought some Vibram FiveFingers! I don't know if everyone has seen or heard of these before, but they are becoming quite popular at the gym over here. They simulate walking barefoot, which is a more natural and healthy way to move (so they say- makes sense to me!). I talked to a couple of friends that have them, and decided to splurge and buy myself a pair! They came in the mail yesterday- Kayak Shed has the fastest delivery ever- a big thanks to them for sending my package inside a priority mail box (other places have taken more than a month to get us our packages recently! eek!). I took my new "shoes" out for a test drive immediately- the hardest part was getting them on for the first time! I honestly thought for a minute that my toes would not go in their holes. Once they did, it was definitely a weird sensation. My toes have never been forced apart like that! That subsided pretty quickly and I went for a two mile walk on post to see how they felt. It was fun! Even though Fivefingers are common around here, I felt like everyone was looking at me. They probably were- I don't really care. These were so fun to walk in! Honestly I wanted the Classics- they look kind of like slippers! I decided against them because I want to jog some in these and I felt the strap would be a good thing for that. I'm nervous to try jogging in them. I tentatively jogged a few steps yesterday and it felt ridiculous! They force you to strike on the forefoot rather than on the heel, as if you were barefoot (duh). I'm very excited to try them out some more today!

Not the most attractive shoe, I guess... I almost got pink ones...then I thought, "What if I'm wearing a red t-shirt?" Really, I did. Speaking of red, look at the top of my left ankle. All those nicks? Shaving! I ALWAYS cut the same ankle, time and again, and it's a bleeder! It's really annoying. Aaanyway....

They have a nice protective layer! You can still feel "stuff" that you are walking on, but it doesn't hurt. I'm glad I bought them. If any of you get a pair, let me know how you like them!

After I went out for the test drive in my new shoes, I heard on the radio that they were doing a blood drive at the USO, and that all the blood was going straight downrange (Iraq, Afghanistan). Of course I had to donate! It was so easy, and it feels good to do my part. Plus, check out the t-shirt I got:

Haha. Oh, Chuck Norris. The best part is, they had all sizes! I love that- a lot of times free t-shirts are only size XL, and then I'm like, thanks for the new...pajamas? I'm totally going to wear this shirt. I've already tried that Texas Ranger pose in the mirror. Yes, I can definitely do it. Maybe not in tight shorty pants like he can....

One last thing....HOW 'BOUT THEM GAS PRICES! Last time I checked, and I think this was on Sunday, ethanol was 3.79 and regular was 4.03! Wowwweee! Pretty soon I'll have to ride my new shoes to town! Thank heavens for our rationed fuel. If we had to pay European prices for gas, we'd have to park our cars...permanently!

Oh, I almost forgot! Random Photo! Good, we can end this post on a POSITIVE note!

It's Ted! Just doin' what he does: being handsome. Oh! And fixing things. :) Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I always get a kick out of your feet pictures, but I must say those shoes are strange! I've spent most of my life barefoot, and I have no urge to get me summa them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I won't get you any for Mother's Day then. ;)

    ReplyDelete