Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In the Kitchen with Ashley....

Okay, I don't post a lot about cooking, because to be honest, I'm not really a chef. I follow recipes, don't get creative at all, and my food rarely looks like the picture in the cookbook. Yesterday, though, I decided to make myself a "real" lunch- you know, other than soup or sandwiches or what-have-you. Chicken Bacon Ranch Pitas! I used a recipe from Cooking Light: Smoky Bacon and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad Pitas. Only they don't sell blue cheese at the commissary, so I substituted Feta crumbles. And I don't like mayonnaise, so I used Kraft Free Ranch. And I left out the tomatoes. So it became a Chicken Bacon Ranch pita! It was really tasty, and you can make them ahead of time to take to work- just bring your pita pocket and fill it at lunch time! So, here's a kitchen success for Ashley.


This morning I didn't fare so well:


I guess I'm still not used to all the horsepower this microwave brings to the table. Whoops. That was my last oatmeal packet, too. :( I don't like "real" oatmeal because no matter how I much I adjust the amount of water or milk, it is too soupy and gross. I know that I can make the texture the way I like it with instant, microwave oatmeal, so that's what I do! It comes from years of practice- I used to eat "hot cereal" almost every morning before school in the winter. I haven't heard the term "hot cereal" since I left home! Ted thought I sounded like a person from the retirement home. ;)

Since most of the ladies I know have husbands in the field right now, a few of us decided to get together to watch a movie. My friend Jennifer got AppleTV- basically it is iTunes that streams right to your television. The movie rental price on iTunes is the same as what we can rent for at the shoppette, so I guess it would save a trip to town. Although I get the tenth rental free at the shoppette, and I do like rewards and incentives.... I'll probably stick with that. Anyway, we watched Black Swan. It was described to me as a "psychological thriller." I wasn't really thrilled with it, I'll be honest. It was a lot of "ewwww"! Very creepy and twisted and the kind of movie that you don't want to watch right before going home to bed all alone. That being said, some people really loved it, so don't let my opinion stop you from renting it!

Something I watched recently that I really loved- last week's episode of The Office! It wasn't as funny as some, but I really loved it. No kidding, I actually had tears in my eyes at the end. It will be interesting to see where the story goes (if it does) without Michael Scott!

Oh my, look at the time. The online auction for Government Liquidation has opened, so I need to log off here and get my bid on! That's right, I'm negotiating bids on 1-ton trucks for my husband, since he can't do it from the field... I think that qualifies as "Good Wife." :)

Oh wait!! Random Photo!!

Oh my goodness. It's my favorite cows in all of Germany. I want one. I might have to go visit those lovely, shaggy curlies on my walk today!!

1 comment:

  1. eww that oatmeal! but the pitas do look great! enjoy your walk to the interesting cows!

    ReplyDelete