BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Velveeta Shells & Cheese (yes, from the box(es)!)
Maple Chipotle Baked Beans (sauce compliments of my mama-from Tassel Ridge Winery)
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Girl Scout Cookies (Samoas, of course! MMMMM!)
*Side note: Here in Germany it is not safe for the little ones to go door to door or whatever to sell their cookies (do they even do that in the states?). Instead, they get to set up camp inside the doorway of the shopette (gas station), commissary (grocery store), and PX (Wal-Mart?). For weeks at a time it is nearly impossible to go in and out of these necessary places without being accosted by a mob of girl scouts and their mothers. I try to duck behind them, run out when they are helping other customers, or talk on the phone on my way out the door... However, one day I really did want some cookies. Ted was with me, and I stopped before we got to their little table to check if I had any cash. Turns out, I didn't, so we proceeded to walk out the door, and I told the little girl who asked if I would like to buy some cookies, "I'm sorry, but I don't have any cash today!"
Her little brother said, "LIAR."
Well then. I wanted to turn around and call him a turd. I didn't. Thankfully.
Aaaanyway....back to the party food.
Everything was a hit! Even the boxed macaroni. Now, the other day I told you to get out your crockpots, because BBQ Pulled Pork is my new favorite recipe to make. I say to make because it's pretty much always been one of my favorite foods. I remember for my sixteenth birthday we were camping below the dam (great memories!) and Mom made me my favorite meal- Velveeta shells & cheese and pulled pork sandwiches! That wasn't the first or the last time she made me that meal, but that one sticks out in my mind for some reason. Anyway, this recipe is truly simple, and I owe it to Iowa Girl Eats. Take your pork shoulder and sprinkle it with garlic salt. Throw it in the crockpot and cover it about 3/4 of the way with coca-cola. Add about a half cup of BBQ sauce (or if you're Ted, the whole bottle- it tastes good either way) and cook on low for 8 hours. DELICIOUS!!!
Also, if you do find yourself over at Tassel Ridge, pick up a bottle of that Maple Chipotle Sauce. It's made by Stonewall Kitchen and the baked beans recipe on the bottle is to die for. I do not like leftovers, but I ate those beans for another three days!
After we stuffed our faces somebody got out Rock Band. The boys did a splendid (by that I mean unrecognizable) rendition of "This One's for the Girls" on the country track pack.
And of course it just wouldn't be a party without some sort of game. Apples to Apples is always a popular choice and makes a pretty fun game- more so if everyone knows each other.
All in all everyone had a great time. I'm really happy we have such a good group of people to hang out with (it seems weird to say "hang out" at my age, but for lack of a better term....).
One last thing: Breakfast for dinner. It's awesome. Bacon + Syrup = Yummmm. Pancakes....eh. A good reason to get some syrup on my plate I guess. ;)
Now i'm hungry :)
ReplyDelete