We woke up early this morning to the noise of the public works trucks all working in the yard behind our house. After all, it's not a German holiday (they had Ascension Day on Thursday, so they got a holiday too). Actually we first got woken up by the firehouse siren in the middle of the night. We live right next to the fire station, and sleep with the windows open, so it was loud! Our landlord is the fire chief, and his son is on the department, so people downstairs were running around like crazy. I was impressed, Karl made it out the door in about two seconds flat. His son (It's either Andreas or Thomas, I'm not sure) needed some screaming from his mother (Elvira) to be coaxed upstairs from his bedroom in the basement. Then we heard the fire truck screech out and down the street with the sirens blaring. Then we heard Ted receive ten emails on his phone, because he doesn't turn it off. All I can say after all that is thank goodness we aren't working today!
We've had a nice weekend. Friday I had to work and Ted did not, but he had Leader's Patrol at 10 until 3 a.m. I was wiped out, so as soon as he went out the door I was sound asleep. Saturday morning Ted slept in and we got ready to go to Munich at lunch time. It was a nice drive, and we made it to the hotel just fine. I went upstairs to put some makeup on and I sent Ted around the corner to the U-Bahn station to get some Euro, and pretty soon I get a phone call from him. He never made it back, he was outside on the beer garden enjoying a cold one. I got some sparkling hard cider (delicious!) and we waited for our friends to get there. They were stuck at a standstill stop on the autobahn- I guess there was a car fire. No accident- it just burnt to a crisp on the side of the road. Everyone was out of their cars wandering around. They showed us a picture later of the four of them playing "washers" on the autobahn. It's pretty funny, because normally people are driving 120k and higher in the same spot.
Once everyone got there, we decided to go look for food. We took the U-Bahn (it's like the metro) to downtown Munich (or Munchen, as the Germans spell it) and found the Hard Rock Cafe. The food was decent, but definitely pricey. The we made our way to the Hofbrau Haus (world-famous, I guess) and settled in for some good drinks and conversation. It was definitely some good people-watching! The waitresses are all dressed up in traditional German attire, and one of the guys insisted they were called "beer wenches-" non-derogatory, of course. They were also selling these giant salted pretzels bigger than my head, but I was warned that you couldn't even bite into it so I didn't try it.
Then one of our friends led us to a club, where Ted and I and the other couple paid an 8 euro cover charge basically just to use the bathroom. We discovered the pulsing music was much too loud for our taste. We are old and married I guess! The four of us sat outside on the patio and waited for the other two to have their fun. We had some good laughs, though. One of the girls is deploying next week, so it was great to see her again before she goes.
Then next morning we got up, and our friends called us down to breakfast. It was just a Holiday Inn, so we weren't sure what to expect. Ted was kind of hesitant, and I later figured out why. The breakfast buffet was 19 euro... EACH! I tell you, I did NOT eat 19 euros worth of food.
You might be wondering if we went and saw the sights in Munich. Well, no. We'll have to go back another day. There's a whole list of things I want to see: Dachau Concentration Camp, maybe the Olympic Stadium, and I guess the rest of it that I really want to see is outside Munich. The Nueschwanstein Castle is about an hour out, and it's very beautiful. It wasn't voted in to the 7 wonders of the world, but it was close, so they advertise it as the 8th wonder. I also wouldn't mind going on in to Austria and checking out the scenery there. So, needless to say, we have to make a trip back down there. It's only 2-2.5 hours from here, so it's too easy.
Now, the reason we could not go to any of these places on Sunday is because I could not see. I wear daily contacts, and Saturday night I threw out the pair I had been wearing all day. I had packed 2 pair for each eye, just in case. I went to put them in Sunday morning, and I had grabbed 4 pair, all the same prescription! The prescriptions for my eyes are drastically different. I toyed with the idea of putting one contact in and creating a patch for the other, but obviously decided against that one pretty fast. We just went home, in a blurry car ride that left me feeling quite carsick because I couldn't focus on anything! I will probably bring glasses everywhere from now on!
Anyway, that got very long- it's probably got way too many details. Sorry for the lack of pictures AGAIN but my camera still isn't here. If it's not here by Wednesday I will probably throw a fit. I hope you are all enjoying your day off! We love and miss you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nymphenburg Castle is kind of pretty as well - not anything like Neuschwanstein, but it's something to do in Munich itself, and I think King Ludwig II (the guy who built Neuschwanstein) was actually born there.
ReplyDeleteHey I didn't even notice your comment! I still haven't seen any castles. We need to find time to get out more!
ReplyDelete