Friday, May 6, 2011

Busy as a Beaver

Beavers are fascinating. They put so much effort into their "home life"! When I came across a swampy area in the woods and then ran into this stick dam, I knew it had to be a beaver home.




I was kind of surprised at the size and shape of it, because where I come from the beavers usually make more of a mounded dome, where it's easy to see it as a little house. I realize now though that these beavers made such a long dam because they needed to create deeper water (to keep away from predators)! It is entirely possible that this particular beaver family made this swamp all by themselves out of a stream that once ran through here.


Isn't it cool how they can change a habitat to suit their needs? At least it is here, where it isn't affecting any fields or actual waterways.

At first I thought the beavers were trying to fell this big ol' tree, but they do eat bark so maybe they were just snacking. If the tree happens to fall down, all the more bark to gnaw on! I can just see a fat beaver sitting on his hind legs hugging this big tree and eating away. I would love to sit there quietly for a long time and see if I could see anything, but I don't really feel at home in the swamp. Not yet, anyway.

They got this one- and ate all the bark, all the way to the top.

They have little beaver exits and on-ramps, too. :) Wouldn't you love to see this little community on a work-day?!



By the way, my feet are finally pain-free! I got to go out "barefoot" again!

I'm just not going to run in them anymore. Maybe I'll revisit the idea at a later date.

I'm going to end with MORE flower pictures (I know...). The trees bloom in practically every color down here- every time I turn around I see a new "flavor"!






Then there's this furry tree. He's not much to look at, but what can I say- I'm an equal opportunity blogger!

I almost forgot, I came across a couple of boats- there's room for me and a friend to take a paddle around the lake!


I'll take the one on the right. ;)


Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Does that tub count as a boat!? I guess that one will be mine!

    ReplyDelete