Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cherry Belle, Week 1 or 2 (?)


My babies are growing!


I am so proud. I did plant more than one radish seed, by the way. :) I guess this would be week 2, since technically week one was underground...Depends how you look at it. Nothing so far on my Morning Glory seeds....To be honest I started to get a little worried and...ahem....dug around in the dirt until I found one of them. Just to make sure it was okay. I'm pretty sure that's a gardening no-no, but I couldn't resist. My husband is always reminding me that a watched pot never boils, and the same probably applies here. I'm happy to report that the Morning Glory seeds are coming along just fine- if we get a little warmer weather I imagine I'll be seeing some sprouts in just a couple of days.

Speaking of weather, I added two new weather stickers on the right side of my blog! Weather is a bit of a mundane topic, but I think it's interesting to see how it compares to you all back at home, so I took it to the extreme and put TWO stickers! We have very similar weather patterns (in our part of Germany and in Iowa) and Ted and I think it must be because we are on similar latitudes. But what do we know. Either way, right now you Iowans are ten degrees warmer and it's the middle of the night there! Should make for a nice kick-off for Tulip Time.

I don't really have anything else to say today.... It's been cloudy and nothing exciting is happening outside. Oh, Ted finally had a chance to call. He's working his tail off as usual, and getting rained on at night in his tent, but his spirits are high and he's great at what he does, so I'm confident that all is well. Maybe in a couple years, when all this is behind us, we can go camping for real. ;)

Oh I can show you a walk I went on last week:



I followed this shallow creek for a while- isn't it beautiful the way the sun is glowing through the trees? My mom's house has a crick like this (sometimes with a lot more water!) and I remember when we were younger, my brother and I used to stomp around in it in our gum boots. I had to wear gum boots because of my fear of snakes, and while we had bull snakes in our yard all the time, I never did see one at the crick. One time when our friend Adam came over, the three of us founded the Crick Club, and we went exploring to find crawdads and old rusty junk (farm implements and the like, maybe even an old car?) and whatever else happened our way. Once we were pretty sure we found a coyote den and oh, to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!! Next person that runs into my old friend Adam, tell him I said hi.

Anyway, I followed this creek all the way to a fish farm! When I took Ted back to show him, he said these little fish are called fingerlings. You learn something new every day around here!


The fish farm was comprised of about five or six ponds, all criss-crossed with a wire grid. I have no idea why- the only thing I could come up with is maybe they put a small boat in the water and use the wire to pull themselves around? That seems silly though. Maybe they throw nets in the water over the wires? If anyone knows the answer, enlighten me!


I also ran into a beaver here. He or she was quite dead, and I really wanted to feel his tail....morbid, I know. I didn't. I did, however, bring my husband back to show him the dead beaver. We are an odd couple.

The other day I found a beaver dam, and a HUGE tree that these industrious little creatures are trying to saw down. They like a challenge! I'll have to go back with my camera, just as soon as I get over my fear of vipers. Yes, I got online and informed myself about the snakes of Germany. That was a horrible idea. There are two kinds of poisonous vipers here! At least now I know what they look like, so I know just how quickly I need to run (or go into cardiac arrest) at my next snake sighting.

I have an appointment in town in a half hour, and unless I want to show up in my bathrobe with unkempt hair I should probably get off the computer! If you didn't hear me last time I said it, go eat a pork burger at Tulip Time. It's at the FFA stand (usually behind the poffertje tent!), and it is so delicious! You must take a picture of yourself enjoying it and send it to me. Plus, you'll be supporting the Future Farmers of America!

No comments:

Post a Comment