Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Swan Butts

So, the other morning it started snowing. And snowing, and snowing, and snowing. By 10 am we had quite a pile, so I decided to take a snowy little stroll to see what I could see.

Me, on a snowy little stroll

It wasn't long before I came upon a lovely little pond; just the little pond I was looking for, in fact. Last year two lovely swans inhabited this lovely little pond, and to my delight, they moved back in for the winter. They are the same two swans, of course. Don't ask me how I know.

Lovely little swans on a lovely little pond, floating around and enjoying life

As I was standing there with snow packed all the way up the legs of my jeans (boots. when it snows, wear boots.), a flock of ducks or some other large white bird (but not swans) started circling the lovely little pond. They made huge laps, and every minute or so they would circle again, looking for the lovliest of lovely ponds to land on, I'm sure. Mr. and Mrs. Swammy Swan were none too pleased at the prospect of sharing their lovely anything.

Every time the birds flew near, these ruffle butts got their feathers all in a dander. I think they are looking at each other saying, "What the heck!?! This will not do!"

I stuck around long enough to see if the lovlies would be invaded. They were not, and all was lovely again.


Don't you think the one in the back is the male, and the one in the front is female? He's saying, "Come along now, wifey. Get a move on."

That's the end of that lovely story. See the pic below for the scene outside my window right now. They have forecasted 10 inches of snow by morning, and shut down the entire post for tomrrow! Snow Day! :0)

7 comments:

  1. oh my- those swan pictures are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are absolutely stunning. What a beautiful day--I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swan pictures are indeed exquisite! Can you burn me a CD with the pictures from our trip & the snow picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the pictures! Especially the one of you! So adorable! thanks for sharing. Enjoy the snow storm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you click on the swan pics to make them bigger, you can tell they have furry necks. I've never wanted to grab a furry little neck so badly. In a loving way, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sister, you make my day more enjoyable. I love your stories :) and your scarf is very adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delightful! It sounds (and looks) like the perfect winter day! YOu are so lucky to be spending time in such a gorgeous place!! Now go get yourself some boots! :)

    ReplyDelete